[Python-Dev] Using feature branches for local development

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 14:28:28 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 13.03.11 07:25, schrieb Nick Coghlan:
>> 2. Once I'm done with the feature branch, I need to nuke it somehow
>> (e.g. by enabling the mq extension to gain access to "hg strip"
>> command)
>
> I think this will need reconsidertion. Apparently, the recommendation
> is that you need to flatten all changes into a single commit when
> integrating is. The way I would do it is to produce a diff, and apply
> a patch to cpython. One way of producing the patch is to use "hg outgoing",
> another is to use a named branch in your clone and do
> "hg diff default feature".

Yeah, I just created a sandbox/ncoghlan code that I'll use to track
all my "in-progress" stuff, then I'll generate a diff to apply to my
local clone of the cpython repository.

> The mercurial-recommended way is that you just push your changes to cpython
> when done, which puts all your individual commits into Python's history.
>
> I tried to find an official statement on which way it should be in the
> devguide, but couldn't find anything.

It's definitely the latter, but I don't think it is explicitly
documented yet that this applies to all pushes, not just patches from
the tracker.

Cheers,
Nick.