[Python-Dev] packaging

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:39:55 CET 2011

Hey,

I just wanted to summarize what we've started at the sprint (and
hopefully finish 1 to 7 this week):

1/ distutils2 is merged as the "packaging" Python package in the
standard library
2/ distutils2 will provide a "pysetup" script in Python to run all
packaging tools (pysetup is a wrapper that will run
"packaging.run.main")
3/ pkgutil gets the new API (PEP 376) we implemented in distutils2._backport
4/ sysconfig installations paths are moved to a sysconfig.cfg file.
5/ the sysconfig,cfg file will be located besides sysconfig.py in the
standard library
6/ sysconfig will lookup for sysconfig.cfg in several places and merge
sections from down to bottom:
     1/ current directory
     2/ per-user site-packages
     3/ global site-packages
7/ a backport for 2.4 to 3.2 will be provided for "packaging" using
the "distutils2" name
8/ we will release distutils2 in the next 18 months
9/ once 3.3 is out, the backport will just get bug fixes

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org