[Python-Dev] NetBSD and curses

Bill Green bill at supposedly.org
Tue Mar 15 01:51:23 CET 2011

Hi all,

I ran across this issue several months ago and filed a bug report
(#9667).  It just came up again, and it doesn't look like anything's
been done with the bug report, so I thought I'd post here.

In _cursesmodule.c there are a lot of preprocesser conditionals that
test if the system is NetBSD. In my case, the issue was that the module
built lacked the KEY_UP / _DOWN / etc. constants, but there are other
changes as well.  This is the case even if you're compiling against
ncurses instead of the system curses.  Αttached below is a patch against
2.7.1 that negates the NetBSD conditionals if ncurses is present.  It
seems to work as expected, although I haven't done any real testing.  I
assumed this was done because NetBSD curses was missing something, but I
looked at the headers and it seems to have most of the constants that
the compilation directives are leaving out (A_INVIS, the aforementioned
KEY_* constants, at least), so I'm not sure why that code isn't compiled
in anyway.  Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding this.

Thanks,
Bill