[Python-Dev] pydoc for named tuples is missing methods

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:17:18 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 15/03/2011 07:59, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> While I actually think the current API design is a decent compromise,
>> another option to consider would be to move the underscore to the
>> *end* (as_dict_, replace_, make_) as is sometimes done for code that
>> needs to avoid conflicting with a keyword.
>>
>> Namespace collisions with actual fields would remain unlikely, while
>> pydoc would pick up the new names correctly.
>>

> Although it's a backwards incompatible change. Teaching pydoc to recognise
> the private methods isn't.

If we can find a good way to do it, making pydoc smarter would
definitely be a nicer option.

If we went the "moving the underscore" route, the old names would
indeed have to remain for compatibility. Just one of many reasons it
isn't a great solution :)

Cheers,
Nick.