[Python-Dev] API deprecations in Python 3, from a Python 2 perspective

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Mar 18 01:21:55 CET 2011

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:23:30 -0400
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> People should retest their stuff with
>> each micro (bugfix) release anyway.
>
> I'm not sure they should. The point of having micro releases is that
> they don't bring any visible change in behaviour - apart from fixing
> bugs, that is.

Even bug fixes can have unintended consequences (in other words, new
bugs).   Or perhaps there is work-around code in place that now causes
problems because there is nothing to work around.

Even if neither of those two cases is true, why would you not want the
warm, fuzzy feeling of contentment *knowing* that your code runs on the
latest Python?

~Ethan~