[Python-Dev] Finally switch urllib.parse to RFC3986 semantics?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 01:32:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> But seriously, I think an additional function or additional flag in the
>> current functions/method in the parse module is sufficient than going
>> for another module.
>
> I vote for a new function, not a flag. (Others can explain my rule of
> thumb against flag arguments whose values are nearly always
> constants.)

When I was last tinkering with this (i.e. when I wrote that proof of
concept module for a fully RFC 3986 compliant parser), I actually
replaced the "urljoin" name with "resolve_uriref".

So a minimal change to provide at least RFC 3986 joining semantics
would be to add a "resolve_uriref" that provides the RFC 3986 join
semantics, while "urljoin" would continue to follow the older RFCs.

There are additional niceties in RFC 3986 that it would be good to
provide, but that's when you start to get to the scale of a completely
new URI parsing module.

Cheers,
Nick.