[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 19:59:27 CET 2011

On Mar 19, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:25:07 -0500
> skip at pobox.com wrote:
>
>> The dev guide says something about collapsing changesets.  Is that
>> collapsing commits within a changeset or collapsing multiple changesets
>> (whatever that might be)?  Do I need this for a trivial change?  Can I just
>> push at this point?  Once pushed, how does it get merged into the main
>> codebase?
>
> Sincerely, I would really recommend that you read a Mercurial tutorial.
> We could answer all your questions one by one but that wouldn't help you
> much if you don't understand the concepts.

Skip is not alone on this one.  I've been using Mercurial for a couple of months now, have read multiple tutorials and whatnot, but am still not clear on how to follow the devguide's suggested cross-branch workflow.

The dance of pulling, merging, reverting, collapsing, resolving, null merging, and rebasing cross-linked branches is somewhat more involved and complex than covered in any of the tutorials I've seen.

I think if we're going to require a complex workflow, then we're going to have to expect a lot of questions.  And those questions shouldn't be brushed-off with "go read the tutorial, we have no time for you" or words to that effect.

RAymond