[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Mar 19 20:05:12 CET 2011

    Antoine> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:25:07 -0500
    Antoine> skip at pobox.com wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a trivial little documentation patch for csv.rst.  I committed it
    >> locally, then I pulled and merged:
    >>
    >> cpython% hg pull
    >> pulling from ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython
    >> searching for changes
    >> adding changesets
    >> adding manifests
    >> adding file changes
    >> added 94 changesets with 422 changes to 154 files (+1 heads)

    Antoine> 94 changesets? If you want to avoid risking conflicts, you should "hg
    Antoine> pull" and "hg up" (or "hg pull -u") before you start working on
    Antoine> something (just like you "svn up"'ed before working on something).

Sorry, this workflow is still new and hugely confusing to me.  To make a
simple edit to csv.rst I needed to do a couple pulls and merges, local
commits, resolve the same conflict multiple times, get rebuffed when I first
pushed because there was a tab in the file, and ask a question here.  If
this is the typical route necessary to make even the simplest changes which
would have been a single commit with svn, my already meager rate of
contributions is likely to wither away to nothing.

    >> The dev guide says something about collapsing changesets.  Is that
    >> collapsing commits within a changeset or collapsing multiple
    >> changesets (whatever that might be)?  Do I need this for a trivial
    >> change?  Can I just push at this point?  Once pushed, how does it get
    >> merged into the main codebase?

    Antoine> Sincerely, I would really recommend that you read a Mercurial
    Antoine> tutorial.  We could answer all your questions one by one but
    Antoine> that wouldn't help you much if you don't understand the
    Antoine> concepts.

Thanks for the snide response.  If I had time to read an entire book just to
learn how to do something I was doing in CVS and Subversion with no trouble,
I would have done so by now.  I want to understand how to use the workflow
set up for this project.  If you aren't willing to help me get past my
initial difficulties, please don't bother responding.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/