[Python-Dev] Hg: inter-branch workflow

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sun Mar 20 17:50:23 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:39, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> The reason why rebasing is not universally applied is that the
> rebased changesets are different from the original ones (therefore
> I wrote A' and B') -- even if the diff is the same, the parents
> are not, and therefore the changeset id (hash) changes.  This is
> called "changing history", and frowned upon by purists.  In reality
> it works fine if you know the limits:

It's frowned upon by more than just purists, and it works "in reality" as
fine as handing out your creditcard and personal information over the
internet; you can't always tell the result is bad, and it can be very
painful finding out.

Jaywalking-and-unprotected-sex-metaphors-available-on-demand'ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!