[Python-Dev] VM and Language summit info for those not at Pycon (and those that are!)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Mar 20 18:09:41 CET 2011

On 3/20/2011 10:51 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:39:20 +0100
> Stefan Behnel<stefan_ml at behnel.de>  wrote:
>>
>> If anyone knows about a good benchmark for a currently pure Python standard
>> library module, preferably a smaller, self-contained one that's somewhat
>> computationally intensive, I'd be happy to hear about it.
>
> You can take a look at difflib,

I think this is a good example. difflib.SequenceMatcher is linear to
quadratic (says Tim) in the number of items and can take seconds or
longer in real-life-sized use cases. It is all indexing, comparison,
looping, and logic, so I think it would be an interesting test case.
There is no C version now, so a sped-up version could be immediately
useful to some people.

--
Terry Jan Reedy