[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 21 03:34:18 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:44:34 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>> I'm coming to the conclusion that those who say that Mercurial
>> documentation should be found at the Mercurial project are wrong.  I
>
> +1.  I think the dev docs should explain anything needed to do the
> basic Python workflow, even if that feels like repeating parts of the
> Mercurial docs.  (If it is a large chunk, then a pointer to the exactly
> relevant section of the Mercurial docs would be appropriate.)  On the
> other hand, I'm not offering to do the work, so I'll happily accept
> what has been produced so far (thanks, Antoine!).
>
>> think there's a reasonably strong case (based on the explicit promise
>> of PEP 0374 that workflows would change as little as possible) for a
>> follow-on informational PEP providing verbal, and maybe automated,
>> scripts for the various operations needed in the Python workflow.
>
> Sounds good, but someone needs to write them.  You'll note that I've been
> asking for this for a while, but as it turns out it wasn't really possible
> to write them "correctly" until we started actually using the system.
> I'm still not comfortable enough to write them myself, but after I've
> used my chosen workflow for a while I'll do my best to write it up in
> more detail than my earlier post as a blog post or something.

I think it ought to be added to the dev guide instead of a PEP.
Otherwise I agree -- the workflows are somewhat unique to Python. I
personally sure haven't grokked them yet, not having done anything
that required merging yet. (TBH I never got the hang of our SVN merge
flow either.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)