[Python-Dev] VM and Language summit info for those not at Pycon (and those that are!)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 21 03:46:06 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> [warning, long post ahead]
[all snipped]

Thanks for the clarifications. I now have a much better understanding
of what Cython is. But I'm not sold. For one, your attitude about
strict language compatibility worries me when it comes to the stdlib.
Also, I don't know how big it is, but it seems putting the cart before
the horse to use it to optimize the stdlib. Cython feels much less
mature than CPython; but the latter should only have dependencies that
themselves change even slower than CPython. I also am unclear on how
exactly you're supporting the different semantics in Python 2 vs. 3
without recompiling.

OTOH I think you've got the perfect audience in the scientific Python
world. Have you tried replacing selected stdlib modules with their
Cython-optimized equivalents in some of the NumPy/SciPy distros? (E.g.
what about Enthought's Python distros?) Depending on how well that
goes I might warm up to Cython more!

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)