[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Mar 21 07:58:35 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:07:46 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> No, at best the DVCS workflow forces the developer on a branch to
> merge and test the revisions that will actually be added to the
> repository, and perhaps notice system-level anomolies before pushing.

hg does not force the developer to test, it only forces the merge.

As far as I can see, the only difference between hg and svn in this
regard is that svn merging was easier, because, as you say, it was done
behind the scenes when one did a conflict-free commit.  If there were
conflicts, though, you had the same need to merge to tip as with hg,
and the same lack of enforcing of the running of tests.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com