[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:29:25 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> I believe it runs counter to the professed intention of the switch away from
> a centralized version control system, to make it easier for more people to
> contribute to Python.  It certainly seems harder for this old dog.

I agree it's harder *now*, but I don't think it will stay that way. As
best practices like installing the whitespace hook client-side evolve
and are codified then the devguide can become a lot more prescriptive
for new (and current) users.

Remember, we knew from the beginning that core devs were going to see
the least benefit from the switch, and were at the most risk of having
to relearn things. The principle benefit of a DVCS (i.e. making it
far, far easier to keep a clone repository up to date so that
externally maintained patches are less likely to go stale) doesn't
really apply to us (although we can certainly take advantage of it if
we choose to - I did that myself when creating my own sandbox
repository).

Cheers,
Nick.