[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 21 17:07:43 CET 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 04:38 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:25:31 -0400
>Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Does Mercurial have a way of acting like a centralized vcs to the end user,
>> the way Bazaar does?  IOW, if Skip or others were more comfortable with a
>> centralized workflow (which is entirely valid imo), can they set up their
>> local workspace to enable that mode of operation?
>
>I believe something like "hg pull -u && hg ci && hg push" would
>emulate such behaviour: it would first put your working copy in sync
>with remote, then let you commit, then push your new change.

Actually, I meant something like 'bzr checkout':

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.2.3/en/user-reference/checkouts-help.html

This would allow individual developers to treat the repository in a
centralized way like they did for svn, but still allowing other developers to
work in a distributed way.

>We cannot emulate "svnmerge" for porting between branches, though - and
>I doubt bzr can do it. That's because merges in common DVCSes are based
>on the DAG, while svnmerge is a prettily ad-hoc free-form thing.

Sure.

>> If so, the devguide could describe that as a transitional step from the old
>> svn way of doing things.
>
>I think we should let things settle a few weeks before starting to
>describe more workflows in the devguide.

Okay.  I wonder if the merge dance will get easier now that the rush of
changes during Pycon settles down.

-Barry