[Python-Dev] VM and Language summit info for those not at Pycon (and those that are!)

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Mar 21 18:47:20 CET 2011

Stefan Behnel, 21.03.2011 11:58:
> Guido van Rossum, 21.03.2011 03:46:
>> Have you tried replacing selected stdlib modules with their
>> Cython-optimized equivalents in some of the NumPy/SciPy distros? (E.g.
>> what about Enthought's Python distros?) Depending on how well that
>> goes I might warm up to Cython more!
>
> Hmm, I hadn't heard about that before. I'll ask on our mailing list if
> anyone's aware of them. I doubt that the stdlib participates in the
> critical parts of scientific computation code. Maybe alternative CSV
> parsers or something like that, but I'd be surprised if they were
> compatible with what's in the stdlib.

Sorry, I misread your statement above. You were actually proposing to let
us work on the existing stdlib modules, and then to get other, already
Cython-enabled distributions to ship Cython compiled stdlib modules for
testing.

Yes, I think this is a good idea. Their entry level for using Cython at
build time will be much lower than for general CPython.

Would you say it's worth a GSoC project to get some of the Python stdlib
modules compiled and/or some of the C modules rewritten in Cython? The
Cython project would surely provide collective help through its user
mailing list, code review, etc.

Stefan