[Python-Dev] Hg: inter-branch workflow

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 21 19:29:54 CET 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 06:07 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:20:15 -0400
>Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

>> >Basically, rebase is a way to avoid having pointless merge commits on the
>> >same branch.
>>
>> There's something I don't understand about rebase.  It seems like most git and
>> hg users I hear from advocate rebase, while (ISTM) few Bazaar users do.
>
>I don't think many hg users advocate rebase, really. AFAICT the
>Mercurial developers themselves don't seem to use it (they do use mq,
>OTOH).

I guess that begs the question then. ;)

What harm would there be in relaxing the SHOULD in this paragraph to MAY?

"You should collapse changesets of a single feature or bugfix before pushing
the result to the main repository. The reason is that we don’t want the
history to be full of intermediate commits recording the private history of
the person working on a patch. If you are using the rebase extension, consider
adding the --collapse option to hg rebase. The collapse extension is another
choice."

-Barry