[Python-Dev] GSoC: speed.python.org

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:44:30 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM, DasIch <dasdasich at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I'm interested in participating in the Google Summer of Code this year
> and I've been looking at projects in the Wiki, particularly
> speed.pypy.org[1] as I'm very interested in the current VM
> development. However given my knowledge that project raised several
> questions:
>
> 1. Up until now the only 3.x Implementation is CPyhon. IronPython,
> Jython and PyPy don't support it - and to my knowledge won't get
> support for it during or before GSoC - and could not benefit from it.
> It seems that a comparison between a Python 2.x implementation and a
> 3.x implementation is rather pointless; so is this intended to be
> rather an additional "feature" to have 3.x there as well?
>
> 2. As a follow-up to 1: It is not specified whether the benchmarks
> should be ported using a tool such as 2to3, if this should not happen
> or if this is up to the student, this needs clarification. This may be
> more clear if it were considered under which "umbrella" this project
> is actually supposed to happen; will those ported benchmarks end up in
> CPython or will there be a separate repository for all VMs?
>
> 3. Several benchmarks (at least the Django and Twisted ones) have
> dependencies which are not (yet) ported to 3.x and porting those
> dependencies during GSoC as part of this project is an unrealistic
> goal. Should those benchmarks, at least for now, be ignored?
>
> [1]: http://wiki.python.org/moin/SpeedDotPythonDotOrg

Hi.

There might be two independent SoCs but as far as I know, a very
interesting SoC on it's own (and one I'm willing to mentor) would be
to:

1. Get this stuff running on speed.python.org
2. Improve backend infrastructure so it actually *can* easily run
multiple VMs, especially that some benchmarks won't run on all.
3. Fix some bugs in frontend, improve things that don't look quite as
good if that should be for the general Python community.

Note that this is a bit orthogonal to port benchmarks to Python 3.
Also if noone would run those benchmarks, just porting them to Python
3 makes little sense.

Cheers,
fijal