[Python-Dev] GSoC: speed.python.org

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:51:47 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:33:55 +0100
> DasIch <dasdasich at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 3. Several benchmarks (at least the Django and Twisted ones) have
>> dependencies which are not (yet) ported to 3.x and porting those
>> dependencies during GSoC as part of this project is an unrealistic
>> goal. Should those benchmarks, at least for now, be ignored?
>
> Why not reuse the benchmarks in http://hg.python.org/benchmarks/ ?
> Many of them are 3.x-compatible.
> I don't understand why people are working on multiple benchmark suites
> without cooperating these days.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Antoine: The goal is to *get* PyPy, Jython, IronPython, etc all using
a common set of benchmarks. The idea stems from http://speed.pypy.org/
- those benchmarks grew from the unladen swallow benchmarks, which I
think are the ones in http://hg.python.org/benchmarks/.

So, yeah - the goal is to get us all reading off the same page. The
PyPy people can speak to the changes they made/had to make.

jesse