[Python-Dev] Hg: inter-branch workflow

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:56:28 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2011, at 09:53 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
>>I'd rather take a look at the final aggregate patch to see if it looks
>>correct, actually. It's easy to have incremental changes which look
>>good but lead to a questionable patch in the end. Better to review it
>>in aggregate, IMO.
>
> I think it would be good to have the option to do either.

One of the key elements here is the way we use python-checkins for
after-the-fact review. That works a *lot* better when changes land in
cohesive chunks. Maybe that's a low-tech technique which isn't up with
the latest snazzy DVCS features, but it's certainly served us well for
a long time and should be preserved if possible.

However, keeping the history clean should come a distant second to
keeping it *correct*, so I now believe we should actively discourage
use of the history editing extensions when working on changes intended
to be pushed to the main repository.

Cheers,
Nick.