[Python-Dev] [GSoC] Porting on RPM3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 03:23:21 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:06:22PM -0400, David Malcolm wrote:

> Other ideas that occur:
>   - does rpmlint check for encoding yet?
>   - what to do e.g. about canonicalization?  What happens if one rpm
> provide a feature named "café" (where the "é" is U+00E9) and another rpm
> requires a feature named "café" (where the "é" is U+0065 LATIN SMALL
> LETTER E + U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT)?

This depends on whether we're modifying things at the rpm level or only at
the python-bindings level.  If it's at the rpm level, then yeah, Panu will
have to discuss whether we want to enforce a canonical form or not.  If this
is at the python-binding level only, then the only sensible answer is that
those describe two distinct features.  rpm will treat those as two separate
provides so we need to as well.

> IIRC we ruled that rpms in
> Fedora had to have ASCII names,

Correct.  But there's other distributions that likely do allow non-ASCII
characters in package names.  If we're talking about things at the rpm
level, we need to be conscious that Fedora is only one of the consumers of
rpm.

> and I'm guessing this applies to
> metadata,

Incorrect.  We do allow (or I guess I should say, we don't prohibit)
non-ASCII characters in other metadata (for instance virtual Provides).  In
fact, it may have been part of the compromise within Fedora that packages
that have a common non-ASCII name upstream could create a virtual provide
for the non-ASCII name even though the package itself had to be ASCII.

> but we do allow UTF-8 filenames within package payloads
> (again, IIRC)

Right.  And for those who aren't familiar with the rpm packaging format,
filenames are usable in dependencies.  So package foo could have:
  Requires: /usr/bin/café

-Toshio