[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:40:58 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:32:33 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As far as the second point goes, I'm coming to the view that we should
>> avoid rebase/strip/rollback when intending to push to the main
>> repository, and do long term work in *separate* cloned repositories.
>> Then an rdiff with the relevant cpython branch will create a nice
>> collapsed patch ready for application to the main repository (I have
>> yet to succeed in generating a nice patch without using rdiff, but I
>> still have some more experimentation to do with MvL's last proposed
>> command for that before giving up on the idea).
>
> If you use named branches it's very easy, as explained in the devguide:
> http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html#long-term-development-of-features

Yeah, it turns out I had messed up the 'respect_LHS_precedence' branch
in my sandbox , which is why the diffs from there were broken (I had
temporarily merged those changes to "default" and then reverted them,
but subsequently merged the reversion back to the feature branch.
Oops. Fixed now, though, so "hg diff -r default" is once again doing
the right thing).

Cheers,
Nick.