[Python-Dev] Submitting changes through Mercurial

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:51:20 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 07:26:25AM -0500, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Senthil> The magical UI is the FORM textbox element "Remote hg repo:"
>     Senthil> where the user provided his bitbucket URL for the path he was
>     Senthil> working on.
>
> I still don't understand what that's supposed to look like.  Is it supposed
> to be a URL which refers to my local repository?

No, it is the "Remote Repository". It could be one at bitbucket.org or
code.google.com, both of which support creating mercurial
repositories. Or it could be a repository at hg.python.org and with a
url like hg.python.org/sandbox/skip or hg.python.org/skip

You will have to 'push' your changes to those so that they are
publicly visible and then point that url in the bug-tracker.

> If so, I suspect that
> means I have to somehow make my repo globally visible and drill a hole in my
> NAT firewall.

You can do that or use one of existing facilities available for
pushing your code to a public hg repository.

>     Senthil> And when you pressed "Create Patch" button, it created a patch
> Sorry, I don't see a "Create Patch" button anywhere.  Are you referring to
> some sort of Mercurial GUI?

No, the same http://bugs.python.org/issue11591
You have to be logged into the tracker to see "Create Patch" under a
section called "Repositories containing patches"

--
Senthil