[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Mar 22 19:29:25 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:21:24 -0500, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Stephen> This won't be pleasant if people are sprinting and lots of
>     Stephen> commits are coming, because you're likely to repeatedly lose
>     Stephen> the push race.  But in those conditions, nothing is guaranteed
>     Stephen> to work in decentralized fashion (that's one reason why the
>     Stephen> Linux kernel uses Linus and lieutenants as a serialization
>     Stephen> mechanism).
>
> So DVCS scales up to a point, then it breaks and you need to revert to some
> sort of serialization scheme?

Note that svnmerge broke at exactly the same scale point, for exactly the
same reason:  every svnmerge touched root properties, thereby effectively
serializing access to the tree.  There were lots of curses from people
trying to svnmerge at the sprints in previous years.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com