[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Tue Mar 22 21:59:58 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 21:56, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 March 2011 20:44, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
>> The right solution here is to use different clones for different
>> projects/areas.
>
> I'm not trolling here, just trying to learn something about Mercurial.
> Would having separate clones for the various releases (2.7, 3.1, 3.2,
> ...) rather than named branches, reduce contention? I imagine it would
> make porting patches between versions harder, on the other hand...?

Probably not really. In particular, since many changes are
forward-ported across branches, you'll still need to push to each of
the release branches... I'm not sure what the ratio for pure-feature
vs. bugfix is; if there is a significant number of pure-feature
patches (i.e. not on any of the release branches), it might help to
separate all of the release branches from the default branch.

Cheers,

Dirkjan