[Python-Dev] Python3: speed efficiency vs user friendliness (my first experience)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 22 22:12:27 CET 2011

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> I didn't touch Python3 until PyCon, and my first user experience is
> not really good. I've got a feeling that Python3 became more ugly,
> because it doesn't allow me to think about the logic anymore, and
> requires more low-level workarounds even for basic user input/output.

Do you have any examples other than print?

The main one that comes to my mind is that other than looping, any time
I want to process dict.items() etc I often need to call list() first.
Fortunately looping is about 90% of my use-cases for the dict methods,
but the other 10% nearly always requires a list().

YMMV.

--
Steven