[Python-Dev] Workflow proposal

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:20:30 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:
> Now we have two options.
>
> The easier and "mercurial" way would be:
>
> 6. Pull.
> 7. Merge the two heads.
> 8. Merge that merge to the other branches, as necessary. Since the two
> heads were already merged to other branches, this merge should be trivial.
> 9. Push.
>
> If we have some other pushes in the meantime, repeat again from 6. You
> will eventually win the race :).

There's a third option (which is what I've been doing):

6. Pull
7. Merge the heads on the oldest branch that now has multiple heads
8. Merge that branch to the next branch in line as usual.
9. Repeat 7-8 until all branches, up to and including default have been merged
10. Push.

Repeat from 6 if there was another push race.

It keeps the same merge flow as a normal patch (e.g.
3.1->3.2->default) without messing with local history.

As far as the rest of the post goes, in principle I agree with the
goal of letting us run branches from sandbox repositories on the
buildbots, but am happy to leave the details to others to work out. If
the buildbots are currently working the way they did with SVN (clean
checkout every time) they may currently be doing a clean clone of the
repository for every build anyway.

Cheers,
Nick.