[Python-Dev] Submitting changes through Mercurial

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:31:21 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Nick> Now, consider my own current hg setup ...
>
> This is the first soup-to-nuts description of an individual setup I've seen.
> Is it documented somewhere?  If not, could you maybe add it as a complete
> example to the developer's guide?  I have the local setup similar to what
> you describe, but haven't made the mental leap to a public sandbox.

My personal setup is just a combination of two existing sections in
the devguide:
http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html#using-several-working-copies
http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html#long-term-development-of-features

I could probably skip the personal sandbox if I used Mercurial queues
to manage changes I didn't want to commit yet, but I'm currently
liking the sandbox for the offsite backup and ease of synchronisation
between my own machines.

> One other question.  You wrote:
>
>    Nick> My public sandbox is a server-side clone of cpython that lives at
>    Nick> hg.python.org/sandbox/ncoghlan I create feature branches there to
>    Nick> work on things that I am developing myself (when applying patches
>    Nick> created by others I'll work in the main repos)
>
> What do you mean by "main repos" in this statement?  Is "repos" singular and
> short for "repository" or is it the plural of "repo"?  Neither quite makes
> sense to me because I guess I don't know what you mean by "main".  What
> is/are the "main repos"?  hg.python.org/sandbox/ncoghlan?
> hg.python.org/cpython?

By "main repos" I meant the 4 local repos that I have set up to
(ultimately) push to hg.python.org/cpython. That should answer the
singular-or-plural question, too :)

So far I haven't found it necessary to use my sandbox to try out
patches - I'll just try them as uncommitted changes in my main working
copy for the relevant branch and then use "hg revert" to abandon them
if I decide not to commit them.

Cheers,
Nick.