[Python-Dev] Python3: speed efficiency vs user friendliness (my first experience)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Wed Mar 23 14:32:36 CET 2011

Le mercredi 23 mars 2011 à 22:58 +1000, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
> There are several ways to get unbuffered IO back in a cross-platform
> manner, but efficient codec operation means working that way by
> default would be a really bad idea. Users may *say* they prefer
> convenience over speed, but that's only true until the lack of speed
> becomes intolerably slow.

Amaury proposed in the issue (#11633) that print does flush if the end
option is used. I vote +0, but only if we do that for the default file
(sys.stdout).

I only vote +0 because I think that it is easy to modify the code to add
a explicit call to sys.stdout.flush(). Sorry, but programming is hard:
you have to learn things! A better idea would be to *document* that
print() may not display immediatly the message if it doesn't contain a
newline (eg. if end=''), and give the solution (sys.stdout.flush()).

Victor