[Python-Dev] Trimming the fat from "make quicktest" (was Re: I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:29:03 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Really, people already don't run the test suite enough before
> committing/pushing (and ironically these same people often don't check
> the buildbots afterwards). I don't think we want to promote more laxism.

Encouraging a step up from "none" to "some" in a merge-dance case
would still be an improvement. And if it encourages more pre-push
testing when people aren't currently taking the time to run the full
test suite (even though they're meant to), so much the better.

And the quick test does exercise quite a few significant things like
threading, sockets and threaded import.

Entirely independent of the "make quicktest" question, it would be
nice if the default behaviour of regrtest was updated to check the
number of cores a machine has and default to using that many processes
(leaving people to turn it down if they don't want to dedicate the
whole machine to the run). I keep forgetting to include the -j4 when I
run the tests manually, so the tests take nearly 4 times as long as
they need to (and of course, the test targets in the make file don't
use it at all, either).

Cheers,
Nick.