[Python-Dev] Trimming the fat from "make quicktest" (was Re: I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 23 15:44:30 CET 2011

In IRC Antoine suggested -j5 (note that -j is not compatible with -l so you
have to override TESTOPTS not just EXTRATESTOPTS).  Adding --slow here's what
I get:

$ make TESTOPTS="-j5 --slow" quicktest
10 slowest tests:
test_mmap: 221.6s
test_shelve: 184.4s
test_posix: 156.3s
test_largefile: 150.0s
test_concurrent_futures: 105.0s
test_fork1: 12.0s
test_threading: 8.8s
test_signal: 8.4s
test_warnings: 8.0s
test_threaded_import: 6.1s

If I disable down to and including test_concurrent_futures, quicktest runs in
3m20s wall clock.  *That's* what I'm talkin' 'bout!  And the run time is
totally reasonable without halving the test run.  I don't think those 5
slowest tests would be missed in a smoke test.

Any objections to adding those slowest 5 tests to the blacklist, and -j5 to
quicktest for Python 3.3?

-Barry