[Python-Dev] Trimming the fat from "make quicktest" (was Re: I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 23 18:10:47 CET 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 05:09 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>That's completely bogus. There's no reason to believe that a push race would
>favour certain regressions over certain others. Again, you need the full test
>suite to assert that no regressions occured.  (or you might as well run 10
>tests at random and call it done)

If you promote the full test suite as the thing to run when resolving merge
races, then I predict no one will run them, because doing so increases your
chances of hitting *another* push race.  This whole thread came up in the
context of trying to find a quick test you could run in that case which didn't
increase that race window.  I think the practical effect of not having a
simple, fast smoke test will be to do *less* testing when you hit the merge
race, and just let the buildbots sort it all out.  You'll probably win most of
the time anyway.

-Barry