[Python-Dev] Embedded Python startup is slow

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Fri Mar 25 11:48:16 CET 2011

Le jeudi 24 mars 2011 à 22:40 -0400, R. David Murray a écrit :
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 01:20:34 +0100, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> > Since this topic has come up a few times before, I thought it might be time to
> > collect references to it as well as to other topics that people doing
> > embedded work might be interested in, along with the recurring problems that
> > seem to get solved, probably all too frequently from scratch, outside the
> > CPython development scene. (Just looking at an average cross-compilation
> > issue in the tracker is likely to fill you with despair if you're waiting for
> > a resolution in the official releases, unfortunately.)
>
> Personally I think it would be a good thing for CPython to better support
> both embedded systems and cross compilation in general.  I think that
> many improvements that would make it better for embedded use would
> also make it better for general use (such as improved startup time).
> I also think we have a dearth of active core committers with experience
> in cross compilation.

I proposed to integrate Buildroot patches which are 12 patches to
improve cross-compilation and remove/disable some Python features:
http://bugs.python.org/issue11365

Roumen Petrov wrote "All is duplicate on already posted patches . It is
not work to review limited functionality posted here." But I don't know
the number of the issues cited by Roumen.

Victor