[Python-Dev] Python Core Mentorship program

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 02:29:36 CET 2011

On Mar 25, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> In a message of Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:14:02 -0400, Jesse Noller writes:
>> Ben,
>>
>> In principle I agree with you - I would like open archives for the
>> specific reasons you cite, but I value the ability for people who may
>> not be comfortable with coming out and openly discussing things on a
>> list if they know it's open to the magical powers of google and public
>> archives. Heck, having open archives makes it *easier to find out*
>> about the list itself, serving the purpose even more.
>>
>> But - weighed in favor of the target audience (those that may not yet
>> be comfortable with "full disclosure", or discussing personality
>> clashes on the tracker, or those worried about future employers
>> digging up stuff) - I want to error on the side of the closed list
>> archives for now. In several months, we all might realize it was a
>> monumental mistake. At that time, we can fix the problem.
>
> I would have thought that the set of people who were more comfortable
> with the closed list was prettry close to zero.  Because the problem
> with saying something stupid in public is really not one of perfect
> strangers using google to find out that I said something stupid once,
> but rather that current members of the target group, in this case
> the subscribers to python-dev or python-dev-mentors will find out
> that I think stupid thoughts _now_, and think less of me for it, and
> maybe say some nasty things about me.
>
> Python-dev historically has been rather special.  The forbidding message
> "Do not post general Python questions to this list. For help with
> Python please see the Python help page." in a red boarded box is
> fairly effective at getting the message "do not waste the valuable
> time of these people" across.  For a while, I remember, we lied and
> said that subscriptions to python-dev needed to be approved, even
> when they didn't.  That seemed to deter some people from even trying
> to join, which was probably either a good thing, or a bad thing on
> the whole (but, of course, we have no way to measure).  And the other
> thing that makes python-dev unusual is that it is casually read by
> a large number of people who never say a word.  All open mailing lists
> have lurkers, especially those who read them without a subscription,
> through some other means, but python-dev is unsual in the number of
> people who try to read it 'just in case something important happens',
> and 'just to feel like they know what is going on in the python community'.
> All of these factors add to the 'don't waste people's time' factor.
>
> Thus there is a lot to be said about having a separate group, where
> python-dev contributors answer questions that they have made time for,
> even if others might consider them a waste of time.  Because those
> others are not forced to subscribe and read them.  But I don't see
> such a compelling reason for a closed group.  It's not as if we expect
> that mentoring to be a source of deeply personal stories and
> [...]

Thank you for the feedback Laura - I think that if the people volunteering to be mentors (a fair number have) can vote and/or change the policy once we have agreed to a code of conduct for the group.

I for one like to assume In the better side of people and things, and therefore I believe that the list as outlined will be a force for good, and not bad. Remember, anyone with a subscription can access anything - so it's not truly private.

Should you wish to participate, you would be welcome.

Jesse