[Python-Dev] Are these PEP complete?: 389, 391, 3108, 3135

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 10:39:17 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> As the subject line asks, is there anything preventing the following
> PEPs from being marked Final?
>
>  SA  389  argparse - New Command Line Parsing Module              Bethard

Sorry for taking forever to get back to this. So I looked over PEP 389
and it's basically complete, but I never implemented the code
deprecation warnings for optparse (only the documentation deprecation
warnings). The PEP claims:

Python 2.7+ -- If the Python 3 compatibility flag, -3, is provided at
the command line, then importing optparse will issue a
DeprecationWarning. Otherwise no warnings will be issued.

Python 3.2+ -- Importing optparse will issue a
PendingDeprecationWarning, which is not displayed by default.

I'm kind of inclined to just remove those lines from the PEP since
optparse is not being removed and since 2.7 and 3.2 are already out
the door. If anyone thinks those deprecation warnings really need to
be implemented, let me know in the next couple days. Otherwise, I'll
update the PEP and mark it as final.

Steve
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?