[Python-Dev] [issue7284] argparse - display version in usage by default

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 12:14:14 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Steven Bethard <report at bugs.python.org> wrote:

> I see though that vi puts the full name and version before the usage (which is currently impossible in argparse):

That was exactly my use case, which I'd say is very common for small
utilities. Just in 10 minutes I could find that about a half of
command line utilities on my Windows machine are reporting full name
and version before the usage with --help option, including NSIS,
PuTTY, Far Manager, Android Debug Bridge and 7-Zip.

A pity that before argparse replaced optparse, there was no research
made to gather the output from various console tools to see how
argparse really saves people from reinventing their solutions.

Do you think we could avoid this problem if there was more active
turnaround between Roundup community and Python community to import
all issues from Google Code tracker in time to do some planning?
http://code.google.com/p/argparse/issues/detail?id=50