[Python-Dev] utf-8 encoding in checkins?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sun Mar 27 20:21:25 CEST 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:33:04 +0100, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> In my experience it is very difficult to get a whole system
> configured, such that UTF-8 works reliably. In my case that would
> mean, I think, Linux, glibc, mutt, screen, elinks, and SecureCRT would
> all have to simultaneously be configured precisely correctly in order
> to get it to work. I have certainly never managed it, anyway.

I remember a few small bumps when I switched to using utf8 by default
in Linux, but nothing very difficult to figure out.  There are still
a few places where it isn't displayed properly, but they are isolated
cases and don't bother me much (mostly a couple older tools that just
don't have good non-ascii support).

> Mind you, I've never managed to get the <-- button working reliably
> either, but to be fair that's insanely complicated too.

No idea what that is.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com