[Python-Dev] utf-8 encoding in checkins?

Jon Ribbens jon+python-dev at unequivocal.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 20:43:40 CEST 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 02:13:29PM -0400, Eugene Toder wrote:
> > I'm not disputing that, and I understand that my current choice of mail
> > reader limits me.  I was just asking if it would be possible (read: fairly
> > easy) to only generate utf-8 when it was necessary.
>
> Isn't utf-8 itself same as ascii where no non-ascii symbols are used?

Yes, however some software will label outgoing stuff as UTF-8 even if
actually it contains no non-ASCII characters. Then, other software
will assume that it cannot understand the message (either because it
assumes the charset label is correct or because it doesn't know that
it can understand "UTF-8" that contains no top-bit-set characters).