[Python-Dev] Information about how cpython in benchmarked

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:01:36 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Apologies for emailing this list with such an apparently trivial question.
Is there some source of documentation or information on how Python is
benchmarked? I am aware of the Python regression testing module,
regrtest.py, which I presume, if profiled, would good be a good baseline
test.

PyPy maintains http://speed.pypy.org/, which provides very clear information
about the relative performance of PyPy trunk against some version of cpython
(presumably 2.6 or 2.7). I'm not aware of a similar site for cpython, but
that could easily just be my ignorance speaking.

My interest is that I'm looking at building a benchmarking solution at work.
and I can't think of a better way to build something good and general than
to try and write something that could potentially be released as open source
and be useful to others. As such I thought that benchmarking cpython would
be a great use case, but I want to find out as much as I can about how
people currently go about benchmarking Python. Initially I'm just looking at
CPU profiling since it's easiest.

Anyway, if this is the wrong place to send this email, I'm very sorry for
clogging up your inbox.

Thanks very much,
-Tennessee