[Python-Dev] Issue 11715: building Python from source on multiarch Debian/Ubuntu

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 30 22:17:09 CEST 2011

Ubuntu 11.04 added support for multiarch libraries:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec
http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/MultiArch

At the moment, I don't care about issue 1294959 which I think addresses
building multiarch flavors of Python:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1294959

I have a much more short-term concern, which is being able to build Python
from source *on* a multiarch Debian/Ubuntu:

http://bugs.python.org/issue11715

The problem is that without this patch (or something like it), several of the
extension modules do not build because setup.py does not search the
directories in which the third party .so files live.  The patch in the tracker
is fairly straightforward and should be robust enough for platforms without
dpkg-architecture(1).  It's adapted from the patch in the Ubuntu source
package.

I would like to apply this patch (or its moral equivalent) to all active,
affected branches of Python, meaning 2.5 through 2.7, and 3.1 through 3.3, as
soon as possible.  Without this, it will be very difficult for anyone on
future Ubuntu or Debian releases to build Python.  Since it's not a new
feature, but just a minor fix to the build process, I think it should be okay
to back port.

Please comment here or in the tracker for issue 11715.

Cheers,
-Barry