[Python-Dev] Raise OSError or RuntimeError in the OS module?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Mon May 2 12:06:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

I introduced recently the signal.pthread_sigmask() function (issue #8407).
pthread_sigmask() (the C function) returns an error code using errno codes. I
choosed to raise a RuntimeError using this error code, but I am not sure that
RuntimeError is the best choice. It is more an OS error than a runtime error:
should signal.pthread_sigmask() raise an OSError instead?

signal.signal() raises a RuntimeError if setting the signal handler failed.
signal.siginterrupt() raises also a RuntimeError on error.

signal.setitimer() and signal.getitimer() have their own exception class:
signal.ItimerError, raised on setimer() and getitimer() error.

Victor