[Python-Dev] Windows 2000 Support

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 2 23:14:06 CEST 2011

Am 01.05.2011 22:51, schrieb Brian Curtin:
> I'm currently writing a post about the process of removing OS/2 and VMS
> support and thought about a discussion of Windows 2000 some time
> back. http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-March/098074.html makes
> a proposal for beginning to walk away from 2000, but doesn't appear to
> come to any conclusion.
>
> Was anything decided off the list? I don't see anything in PEP-11 and
> don't see any changes in the installer made around Windows 2000.

That's what you get for not following your own processes. It seems the
discussion just stopped, with no action. I vaguely recall having made
changes to the installer to produce a warning, but apparently never
got to commit these changes.

> If nothing was decided, should anything be done for 3.3?

Most certainly. It seems we missed the chance of dropping support for
W2k, so we still can't actively remove any code. However, I'd

a) add it to PEP 11, and
b) add a warning to the installer

I stand by

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-March/098101.html

i.e. if there are patches that happen not to work on W2k, I'd accept
them anyway - anybody interested in W2k would then have to provide
fixes before 3.3rc1.

So please go ahead and change PEP 11. While you are at it, also threaten
to remove support for systems where the COMSPEC points to command.com
(#2405).

Regards,
Martin