[Python-Dev] Problems with regrtest and with logging

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed May 11 18:39:21 CEST 2011

 Hi,

> That's right, though it's OK to provide a documented convenience API
> for adding
> handlers.

 I think I’ll aim for simplicity.  We’ll document that we use the logger
 “packaging” throughout and let people use getLogger and  addHandler with
 that.

> You don't necessarily need to set the level on the handler - why can
> you not
> just set it on the logger? The effect would often be the same: the
> logger's
> level is checked first, and then the handler's level.

 I thought that if we set the level on the logger, we would prevent
 third-party code to get some messages.  E.g., we set level to INFO but
 pip uses some packaging functions and would like to get DEBUG messages.

 Regards