[Python-Dev] "packaging" merge imminent

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:23:32 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> Le mardi 17 mai 2011 à 17:36 +0200, Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
>> - addition of Lib/packaging
>> - addition of test/test_packaging.py
>> - changes in Lib/sysconfig.py
>> - addition of Lib/sysconfig.cfg
>
> Does setup.py continue to use the "old" distutils module?

Yes. The plan is to keep distutils support, so projects with setup.py
still work.

For the new packaging, people will have to provide new sections in setup.cfg.

The pysetup script will detect at installation time if the project has
the required bits in the cfg, and if not will fallback to executing
setup.py

> I fixed recently some bugs in distutils. Should I also fix them in the
> packaging module, or are both modules already "synchronized"?

They need to be backported yes. We did some, but we'll need to double
check distutils timeline to make sure it's synced

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org