[Python-Dev] Inconsistent case in directory names for installed Python on Windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 19 05:20:25 CEST 2011

On 5/18/2011 10:33 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

>>> ├[Python27]
>>> │ ├─DLLs
>>> │ ├─Doc
>>> │ ├─include
>>> │ ├─Lib
>>> │ ├─libs
>>> │ ├─Scripts
>>> │ ├─tcl
>>> │ └─Tools

Except for DLLs and tcl, these are the platform-independent names in the
source tree. They are copied directly over to the installations, and I
would not want it any way. Since I suspect change on *nix is out, I
would feel the same for winX. I actually like having 'Lib' uppercase
versus 'libs' lowercase, to make it easier to pick out 'Lib'. Most users
have little reason to look as this directory list very often.
Certainly, Doc, Lib, Scripts, and Tools are ones they might want to look
in, which include, libs, and tcl have nothing to look at. Notice the
pattern? Hmmm. By the same logic, DLLs should have been dlls, but I
suspect someone wanted to distinguish the plural s from dll.

--
Terry Jan Reedy