[Python-Dev] the distutils2 repo and 3to2

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Mon May 23 12:51:27 CEST 2011

Wiadomość napisana przez Tarek Ziadé w dniu 2011-05-23, o godz. 11:58:

> Hey,
>
> Now that packaging has landed, the distutils2 repo is going to be
> re-seted and will be the python 2.x / 3.1 / 3.2 backport of packaging.
>
> In theory, we want to automate the extraction of packaging from the
> stdlib and a few other modules, and run 3to2 at install time. Or
> should I say 3.3tosomething.
> I want to do this to avoid maintaining yet another code base. In
> practice, I don't really know the current state of 3to2 so we'll see..
>
> Any help/hint in this project would be appreciated.

I'm maintaining a configparser 3.2+ backport for 2.6-2.7 using 3to2. A fully automatic conversion is not really possible, partly because the 3to2 tool is not perfect, and partly because there are parts of the code (esp. in the tests) which no mechanical converter could have figured out on its own.

Anyway, the backport is available here:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/configparser

There's some documentation there on the conversion process I came up with.

As for distutils2, I was already contacted by Éric Araujo and will help him improve 3to2. We are yet to contact its authors to see if they believe merging our changes upstream will be possible.

--
Best regards,
Łukasz Langa

IT Infrastructure Department