[Python-Dev] Deprecate codecs.open() and StreamWriter/StreamReader

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 24 18:35:16 CEST 2011

On 5/24/2011 6:14 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> I have no idea why TextIOWrapper was added to the stdlib
> instead of making StreamReaderWriter more capable,
> since StreamReaderWriter had already been available in Python
> since Python 1.6 (and this is being used by codecs.open()).

As I understand it, you (and others) wrote codecs long ago and recently
other people wrote the new i/o stack, which sometimes uses codecs, and
when they needed to add a few details, they 'naturally' added them to
the module they were working on and understood (and planned to rewrite
in C) rather than to the older module that they maybe did not completely
understand and which is only in Python.

The Victor comes along to do maintenance on some of the Asian codecs and
discovers that he needs to make changes in two (or more?) places rather
than one, which he naturally finds unsatifactory.

> Perhaps we should deprecate TextIOWrapper instead and
> replace it with codecs.StreamReaderWriter ? ;-)

I think we should separate two issues: removing internal implementation
duplication and removing external api duplication. I should think that
the former should not be too controversial. The latter, I know, is more
contentious. One problem is that stdlib changes that perhaps 'should'
have been made in 3.0/1 could not be discovered until the moratorium and
greater focus on the stdlib.

--
Terry Jan Reedy