[Python-Dev] Deprecate codecs.open() and StreamWriter/StreamReader

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 28 03:21:57 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 5/27/2011 11:08 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
>> Tell me if I am wrong, but only Marc-Andre is against deprecating
>> StreamReader
>
> While I am, in general, in favor of removing some duplication, I was and am
> against doing this change precipitously. So I was for the reversion (noted),
> at least temporarily. Given the disagreement, I think there should be a PEP
> with pro and con arguments.

Indeed.

I'm also against any deprecation in this area, since that just means
needless work for anyone that *do* use these APIs (even if those
people are few and far between). If we can refactor to remove the
duplication of functionality, that's a *much* better solution.

If we can carry optparse style argument parsing and 2.x style string
formatting, we can carry a couple of legacy codec interface
definitions.

Cheers,
Nick.