[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 8 20:34:01 CET 2011

> I'm curious to know how this level of flexibility can be achieved with the
> MSI format: I know one can code the equivalent logic in C (for example) in
> a custom action, but don't know how you can keep the logic in Python.

I'd provide a fixed custom action which gets hold of the installer
session, and then runs a Python script. IIUC, it should be possible
to map categories to entries in the Directory table, so that the
Python script would actually configure the installer process before
the installer actually starts installing the files. The DLL could be
part of packaging, similar to how the bdist_wininst executable is
part of distutils.

Regards,
Martin