[Python-Dev] Committing PEP 3155

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:29:06 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> 19.11.11 01:54, Antoine Pitrou написав(ла):
>>
>> Well, the other propositions still seem worse to me. "Qualified" is
>> reasonably accurate, and "qualname" is fairly short and convenient (I
>> would hate to type "__qualifiedname__" or "__qualified_name__" in full).
>> In the same vein, we have __repr__ which may seem weird at first
>> sight :)
>
> What about __reprname__?

Antoine only mentioned 'repr' as being an abbreviation for
'representation', just as 'qualname' will be an abbreviation for
'qualified name'.

The "less ambiguous repr()" use case is just one minor aspect of the
new qualified names, even if it's the most immediately visible, so
using 'repr' in the attribute name would give people all sorts of
wrong ideas about the scope of its utility.

Cheers,
Nick.